Wycombe 1 Tranmere 3

Tranmere chalked up their second away win in the league this season when they produced a smash-and-grab raid at Wycombe's picturesque Adams Park.

Despite intense home pressure, Tranmere produced a 3-1 defeat to inflict further pressure on Wycombe boss Lawrie Sanchez, thanks to a brace from seasoned striker Stuart Barlow.

The home side started quite brightly with returning striker Sean Devine shooting just over from 30 yards and forcing John Achterberg into a smart save in the first 15 minutes.

There was a scare at the other end when Shane Nicholson charged down a clearance by home keeper Martin Taylor after he had been put in trouble by left-back Steve Brown.

The home side continued to press with Devine once again firing a 25-yard free kick just over after a foul on Darren Currie. Young Lewis Cook, still looking for his first league goal, had the best chance of the half on 35 minutes, good word on the right by Keith Ryan and Devine allowed Currie to cross and Cook headed wide from inside the six-yard box.

The second half continued in much the same win with the home side doing much of the pressing. Blues skipper Paul McCarthy bulleted a header against the Tranmere crossbar from a Currie free-kick on the right five minutes into the half.

Tranmere then took the lead against the run of play on 63 minutes a long ball caught out Blues defender Andy Thomson and former Everton striker Barlow lobbed delightfully over Taylor for his fourth goal in three games.

Tranmere doubled their tally four minutes later when Barlow fed his strike partner Simon Haworth in the six-yard area and after a goalmouth scramble he beat Taylor with ease.

Haworth had a chance to score his second when through on goal moments later, Taylor coming to the rescue of his side.

Wycombe pulled back a goal on 71 minutes when diminutive midfielder Michael Simpson mis-hit a shot which fairly flew past Achterberg from 20 yards, for his third goal of the season.

The home side then laid siege to the visitors goal, corner after corner was forced with Tranmere defending manfully.

However the equaliser was not forthcoming and in injury-time Barlow confirmed the win for the visitors with his second goal, chipping Taylor from 15 yards