Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Blackpool

Davies goal secures 2-0 win for Rovers
Tranmere Rovers put early pressure on Scunthorpe and Bristol City this Friday night at Prenton Park, as goals from Chris Greenacre and Steve Davies secured Ronnie Moore's side their fourth straight win.

The victory, which secured Rovers a 100% record in November, ensured that Tranmere moved upto second place, two points clear of Scunthorpe and Bristol City, who face Yeovil and Swansea this weekend.

Ronnie Moore named an unchanged side from the one that defeated Brighton at The Withdean last weekend, but Mike Jones and Calvin Zola both earned places on the substitutes bench ahead of Jason McAteer and the suspended Danny Harrison.

It took Tranmere just 50 seconds to score, only 36 seconds slower than Michael Husbands 14 second strike for Port Vale against Nottingham Forest!

A slip by former Rovers defender Mike Jackson on the greasy Prenton Park pitch allowed Chris Shuker's cross to find it's way to Steve Davies. The Rovers striker-come left winger shot and saw his effort saved by former Chelsea 'keeper Rhys Evans, but the ball only fell straight to Chris Greenacre, who did the rest with his fourth goal in three games.

Blackpool now began to turn up the pressure, urged on by their brilliant travelling support of 1,384 fans. Ward first saved from Keith Southern and then on 11-minutes, the Tangerine's had a header chalked off as the assistant-referee had spotted the ball had gone out of play from the corner.

Steve Davies had Rovers next chance of the game as he shot just wide from a free-kick 25-yard away from the goal, whilst former St. Johnstone striker Kiegan Parker forced Gavin Ward into another save.

On 19-minutes, their came a controversial moment, as Blackpool keeper Evans slid out of the area after coming to claim the ball. With some fans calling for the Blackpool number 21 to be sent off, referee Drysdale did the sensible thing and just awarded Rovers a free-kick.

On-loan John Thompson provided a good cross for Gareth Taylor after some quality build up play involving both Shuker and Thompson, but the Welsh international could only head narrowly over after the cross was deflected on it's way across the goal mouth.

Davies for Tranmere and Fox for Blackpool both put chances wide for their sides, before Taylor vollied wide for Tranmere and Forbes shot wide at the other end for The Seasiders.

The last action of the first half happened on 42-minutes, when Striker Kiegan Parker appeared to take a dive when running along side Ian Goodison. Despite his claims for a penalty, referee Drysdale correctly awarded Tranmere a goal kick.

Morrell saw his shot saved (just) by Gavin Ward at the start of the second half, but the next chance didn't come until Greenacre and Shuker's hard work came to nothing thanks to an Evatt clearence after Forbes and Goodison had both been booked for "handbags".

On 67-minutes, Tranmere finally found a deserved second goal, with Steve Davies scoring his first of the season and his third for the club.

Shuker collected a through ball and passed to Taylor on the right, who in turn forced a save out of Evans who could only parry the ball back out to Shuker. The winger passed the ball across goal to Davies who applied the final touch, with a quality finish past Evans into the back of the net.

Blackpool made a double substitution soon after, as Simon Grayson looked to keep his teams run of seven wins in eight intact, bringing Vernon and Burgess on for Parker and Fox.

On 82-minutes, Ronnie Moore made his first and only substitution of the game, replacing Steve Davies with Calvin Zola, who himself was returning from injury.

Gareth Taylor could have put the icing on the cake for Tranmere in the final few minutes but Evans made a fantastic treble save, firstly stopping an awquard back pass and then twice saving from the tall Welshman.

Overall, it was a well deserved win for Tranmere as they move upto second in the table and look forward to Peterborough in the cup next Saturday.

Jones' Man Of The Match: Three players stood out for me; Davies, Greenacre and Goodison, with the later winning the man of the match award again this week. He was once again solid at the back, as reflected by the clean sheet, making a number of key tackles and has overall been by far the best player for Tranmere this season.