Rover maintain unbeaten record against Yeovil

After twice trailing, Tranmere equalised twice and held on to record a 2-2 draw yesterday at Huish Park, their first ever trip to the home of Yeovil Town.

Rovers made three changes to the team the succumbed 2-1 to Walsall. Dino Seremet who the club claim has been recalled by Luton was replaced by debutant Matthew Murray whilst Sam Aiston and Carl Tremarco were dropped, replaced by Steven Jennings and Ian Goodison as Rovers lined up 5-3-2.

Tranmere made the worst possible start as Yeovil took the lead after just four minutes. Mike Jackson passed the ball back to Murray who in turn passed on to Goodison. In turn, Goodison tried to dribble the ball out of defence but was easily dispossessed by Matt Harrold who hit the bottom corner of his shot to put Yeovil 1-0 up.

As you can imagine, this did not best please the travelling 208 Rovers fans on the open air terrace. Already soaking wet due to persistant rain, their spirits were damped more by the goal and it was a full 20 minutes before they sang a song.

Chances were few and far between for both sides. Calvin Zola had a volley from a Mike Jackson flick-on saved by 'keeper Steven Collis whilst on 28 minutes Aaron Davies hit a shot straight at Murray after carving open the Rovers defence.

On 37-minutes Rovers were denied an equaliser. Roberts' free-kick was flicked on by Zola, and although the shot was saved, Jennings netted from a very acute angle. However, the linesman on the far side wrongly had his flag up for offside and the goal did not stand.

Just two minutes later, the linesman couldn't stop Tranmere equalising. After Rovers won a corner, Gareth Roberts swung it in near post. Ian Sharps won a brilliant header to flick it on towards Ian Goodison at the far post who couldn't miss. It was 1-1 and the Rovers fans finally had something to chear about.

The score remained at 1-1 until the break, with niether side hading any other opportunities to break the deadlock, the second half however, was to be a bit more lively.

Straight after the re-start, Mike Jackson had a low shot blocked but it was while until we saw some more action.

Just after the hour mark, Delroy Facey replaced an un-effective Calvin Zola as Brian Little actually appeared to want to win the game but his plan was to be destroyed minutes later.

Yeovil started to put some pressure on the Rovers defence as Chris Cohen shot wide on 67 minutes and then on 69 they were award a dubious free-kick right on the edge of the area.

Matt Harrold curled a low shot around Rovers six man wall and although Murray got down to the ball it slipped under his hand. Ian Sharps was unlucky not to clear the ball as it trickled over the line just a second before he reached it.

On 76-minutes Rovers equalised again. Steven Jennings' free-kick was flicked on by Goodison to Greenacre who netted his 16th league goal of the season from close range.

It was a funny moment for the travelling fans. Due to their being 20 bodies in front of the goal, they couldn't see the ball go in to the net and it was only between 5 and 10 seconds later when they saw Greenacre wheeling away that they realised that Tranmere had scored! That's why the Yeovil fans went so quiet then!

It was at this point in the game where Brian Little dissapointed me. Rovers now had the innitative and should have siezed the opportunity to go on and win the game. Either stick with the team doing well or bring on one or both of Aiston or Tremarco.

However, being Brian Little, he had to go defensive. Danny Harrison came on for Jason McAteer and this basically ruined Rovers' chances of winning the game.

On 76-minutes, Paul Terry, brother of Chelsea captain John, thought he had given Yeovil the lead for a third time, only for a stunning Steven Jennings goal line clearance.

Phil Jevons, former Everton player, crossed the ball in to Nathan Jones who flicked on to Terry. Terry's shot beat Matt Murray with a header but Jennings somehow raced back and with the ball inches away from the goal-line, hooked the ball up on to the bar and it thankfully bounced to safety.

Although Yeovil piled on more pressure, they could not find a third goal and so the game finished 2-2, probably a fair result although some Yeovil fans may beg to differ.

Jones' Man Of The Match: Overall, it was not a brilliant performance by Rovers. Ian Goodison, despite scoring, was awful in defence, whilst you could have been forgiven for not knowing the likes of McAteer, O'Leary and Zola were on the pitch.

Murray can only get better in goal for Rovers as his kicking was awful and he made a real cock-up on the second and first goal although Goodison is more to blame for the second. However, this was Murray's first game for the first team since January 2005 and I'm sure he is just not match fit.

Chris Greenacre put in another tireless display upfront, continually working and then working even more and he deserved his goal.

David Raven was good definsivly again and Gareth Roberts, Ian Sharps and Mike Jackson put in solid displays at the back which could have earned them the man of the match award, if it wasn't for Steven Jennings.

Jennings was simply stunning, possibly his best performance for Rovers. His goal line clearence was fantastic, I can't remember seeing anything like it whilst his midfield performance was simply brilliant. Keep it up Jeno!