Dream return for Moore

What Moore could you ask for?
Tranmere Rovers today picked up a superb fifth away win of the season in the league thanks to a magnificent 2-0 win away at Elland Road against Leeds United.

Ronnie Moore made just one change to the side that has started the last three games as new-signing Ian Moore replaced Gareth Taylor after the striker joined Doncaster on Thursday.

The game started at a fast pace but threatening attacks from either side were comfortably dealt with by each defence.

The first chance came on nine minutes, and it was the closest either team would come in the opening 45-minutes.

Ian Moore ran on to a Shane Sherriff pass and after cutting inside past Heath, he was brought down right on the edge of the area. Paul McLaren stepped up to take the free-kick and crashed the ball into the underside of the bar as it somehow bounced clear of not only the goal but any Tranmere players.

Efforts were few and far between though as defence continued to dominate attack. Antony Kay in defence for Rovers was particularly strong in the air whilst Ian Goodison dealt with most on the floor.

Leeds' first chance came on 23-minutes as Anthony Elding, who joined Leeds from Stockport on Thursday, his a 25-yard shot straight at Danny Coyne whilst at the other end a few minutes later Steven Jennings saw a shot charged down by Heath.

Most of the pressure was coming from the away side, as they past the ball around well and searched for openings in the Leeds defence.

A further chance for Rovers came around the half-hour mark as Calvin Zola flicked the ball on with his head but Ian Moore was just beaten to the ball by Leeds 'keeper Lucas.

33-minutes in Danny Coyne was tested once more, but again the shot, a 25-yard effort from Howson, was straight at the Welshman whilst soon after McLaren his a shot wide from a Zola lay-off.

Leeds however nearly opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time as former Southampton and Nottingham Forest man David Prutton hit the cross-bar.

Robbie Stockdale fouled Beckford on the Tranmere right and Prutton stepped up to take the kick right footed. He curled the ball in and with Coyne expecting a cross, the 'keeper had to quickly back-pedal and was relieved to see the ball hit the bar and bounce to safety.

This was the last action of a very even first half. Tranmere fans however knew that Leeds were there for the taking, should their team get at them and attack in the second half.

One complaint from the fans was of Myrie-Williams, who was ineffective when he cut inside from the right when carrying the ball down the wing and running at his man might have been a better option, especially on such a wide pitch.

Thankfully for Rovers, Myrie-Williams rectified this problem whilst Tranmere did indeed attack the home side.

The first chance of the half fell to Leeds as Beckford's goal bound header was saved by Coyne whilst Gary McAllister made his first substitutes as Leeds manager with one Tore-Andre Flo coming off the bench before the hour mark.

Then, with their first attack of the second half, Tranmere took the lead with the a superb goal just after the hour mark.

Robbie Stockdale hit a long and hopefull ball forward which was flicked on by Ian Moore on the Tranmere right. Jennison Myrie-Williams ran on to the ball and with his first touch he headed the ball over the defender, Heath.

The on-loan winger then ran on to his own header and, with the ball now inside the area, he cut inside past the defender and on to his stronger left-foot.

The Bristol City man then produced a moment of magic, as he beautifully curled the ball in to the top right-hand corner of Lucas' goal, leaving the diving 'keeper with no chance.

The goal sent the Tranmere fans mad, with almost 2,000 of them packed in one corner of the ground jumping up and down and celebrating as if they'd won the league.

Just a minute later Tranmere almost doubled their lead. Rovers won a free-kick on the right touch-line for a poor tackle on Myrie-Williams. McLaren took the set-piece and put it into the box. Shane Sherriff lept highest and headed the ball goalwards, with only a superb save by Lucas, clawing the ball away from the top right-hand corner, keeping the game at 1-0.

Johnson shot over for Leeds before Ronnie Moore's side got that second goal on 69-minutes, with former Leeds player Ian Moore getting the goal during his first game back in a Rovers shirt.

Tranmere won a free-kick on the left and McLaren stepped up to take the set piece, sending the ball into the box where it was won by Ian Moore at the far post who headed the ball into the net.

What a comeback it was for Moore then, who on his first appearance back in a white shirt, netted against his former club and helped the team to a vital 2-0 away win.

The fans again went wild with the players celebrating jubilantly in front of their travelling support.

In the final 20-minutes, it was the home side who applied most of the pressure as they tried to get back in the game, but the likes of Ian Goodison defended valienty and restricted Leeds to only a couple of chances.

Rovers had a few further chances as Ian Moore shot wide after one long, mazey run whilst at the other end Leeds hit a number of long range efforts over the bar or wide.

Their best chance fell to Flo who found himself clear in the box after the ball had been played through the Tranmere defence. However, he shot straight at Coyne whilst in the final minute Leeds won a corner but it was easily cleared by the Rovers back line.

After three minutes of injury time, the referee blew to end the game and award Tranmere the three points that they definately deserved.

Although the first half had been equal and maybe somewhat of an anti-climax after all the hype surrounding the game, Rovers stepped up a gear (or three) after the interval and completely dominated the game.

The Tranmere backline was superb whilst upfront Ian Moore worked so hard, chasing down every ball and he thoroughly deserved his goal.

The midfield worked well together with McLaren delivering some deadly set-pieces whilst he also played some telling passes from the middle of the park.

Jones' Man Of The Match: Steven Jennings was superb for Tranmere but for me defender Ian Godison wins the award by a country mile. The Jamaican had Beckford in his back pocket all game and won every ball that came his way, whether it be in the air or on the floor. Since his return Tranmere have won four out of four and conceeded just one goal - coincidence?